BJ Wentkers' Mushroom Swiss Burger

Place: BJ Wentkers
Location: Burlington, WI
Burger:Mushroom Swiss Burger
Ingredients: Half pound of Angus beef grilled to temp.  Swiss Cheese, Mushroom, Bacon

I've heard nothing but good things about BJ Wentkers.  I'll admit that I set my expectations a little high.  Walking in, I was blown away by the decor.  The door acted as a portal to the past and I instantly felt as if I had stepped into the early 1900's.  This was a fantastic first impression.  Any time I try a new restaurant, I abide by the rule that the burger will define it.  If a place of dining cannot get a burger right, I don't hold much hope for the rest of the menu.

After an substantial wait, the burger was placed before me.  It looked delicious.  Could it be?  A burger outside of chain restaurant that is halfway decent?  Yes and no.  The burger itself had taste to it.  The mushrooms and Swiss were blending well enough with the bacon.  But the grease was there, waiting for me.  After holding the burger momentarily, the grease came pouring out.  If this hadn't been a greasy burger that reduced the lightly toasted buns to mush, this would have been a fairly decent burger.

On the Side: Delicious crispy fries.  Only a few had to be sacrificed to build a barrier.

Three out of five stars

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know there is a pic of this floating around on someone's phone...
ZeroAnd09 said…
Shockingly enough, no, there isn't. I'll have to rectify this with a return trip.