Popeye's "Ultimate"

Restaurant: Popeye’s
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Burger: The “Ultimate” Cheeseburger
Ingredients: Two 6oz patties, country smoked bacon, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, grilled onions and mushrooms on a grilled bun

Verdict:
When I saw the ingredients, I had to concur. This had the makings of an ultimate burger. The list was enough to make any burger lover salivate at the thought of biting into its delicious portions. Reality is a harsh mistress though. When the burger was set in front of me, I thought it had to be some kind of alien embryo. The entire burger was coated in a wet film of grease. I thought to myself, “Christ, not again.” Part of what makes a burger for me is the variety of greens on top, from lettuce to tomatoes and what not. Contrary to what was listed in the menu, the only “greens” to be had were grilled onions and mushrooms. My partner had ordered the chicken fajita and was kind enough to let me use her diced lettuce and tomatoes. After rebuilding, I lifted the behemoth. Much like the “Grabber”, Popeye’s “Ultimate” oozed grease onto my plate, making me feel ill at what was to come. In addition, the grease had turned the lower bun into a gray mush that had to be scrapped away before I would take a bite. I took my first bite and could taste nothing beyond the Swiss and grease. The bacon was fatty and soft. The mushrooms and onions brought none of their usual aroma or taste as they were buried between the patties. Two more bites and still the burger had no flavor. What should have been a beautiful mixture of tastes ended up being wet and bland slab of meat. I don’t understand why Lake Geneva insists on drowning their burgers in grease and then serving them without so much as a 10 second draining period. Three bites in and I put it down. I wasn’t going to make myself sick again.

On the side: Seasoned fries that I didn’t even bother with as the grease had drowned them when I picked up the burger. At least Popeye’s was considerate enough to take the meal off the bill.

0 out of 5 stars

Comments