A Return to Brutality

So, the Xbox hasn't been getting much love in my house of late.  You could say it's been the sudden flood of fantastic free-to-play MMOs that have caught my eye as of late.  So, I thought I would take an hour or two one night and revisit a title that reinvigorated my love of gaming, Bayonetta.

Nothing but class
When I last left Bayonetta, I was working my way through hard mode and was on the first boss, Fortitudo.  Now bear in mind that Bayonetta was ridiculously hard, even on normal, and I remember hard mode wiping the floor with me.  So I jump back into the game on the boss fight and after a few attempts, I get the pattern down and began shaking the couch as I furiously mash buttons in an effort to earn the multipliers.  Twenty minutes later and he's down.

I move on to the next area and encountered the toughest bastards from my last play through, Grace and Glory. Working as the tag-team from Hell, they continually denied me any further progression.  I can barely emerge from an encounter with two, let alone the four that immediately follow.  It's an exercise in frustration.  Not because the game is cheap in any way.  I'm frustrated with my lack of ability to conquer them.  I can see what I have to do, but my ignorance in combos and poor reflexes spell near certain doom.  On more than one occasion, I was down to one final enemy and made a careless mistake that sent me back to the beginning.

So much hate
Bayonetta brought me out of my slump when I had the feeling that games were nothing but mindless war sims.  It showed me how much fun could be had when a developer wasn't afraid to push boundaries and enjoy their creation.  Now, it is teaching me a new lesson.  I have grown soft and weak.  Games today do not punish players for their stupid mistakes like the games of old.  I, for one, welcome back the sheer brutality and satisfaction that follows.  For that, I thank you, Platinum Games.

Comments