Fix It! Asus Vivo Tab RT's Flickering Screen

Image courtesy of PC Mag.


Today I've come across an issue which has apparently afflicted many other owners of the Asus Vivo Tab RT.  After using the tablet all day yesterday without issue, I opened it up today and noticed the screen was flickering.  Nothing I tried would fix it: changing the brightness settings, adjusting power options, rebooting, completely turning off and back on, or removing it from the dock. 

Other users reported the issue after applying a firmware update released earlier this year.  My own tablet is completely up to date as far as Windows and Asus are concerned.  Possible solutions included rolling back the nVidia Tegra 3 display driver, upgrading to Windows 8.1, installing any missing updates, or performing a System Reset when all else fails.

In my case, I didn't have the option to roll back the driver, I already have 8.1 installed, and my machine is completely up to date.  Rather than set myself back by completely resetting the machine to factory settings, I opted for a System Refresh.  This kept all of my data intact, but reset every other component.  The process took about an hour to complete and once it was done, the flickering had disappeared.

There's still no official fix for the issue and it's apparently sporadic as to when it will occur.  I've had my tablet for several months and this is the first time I've encountered it.  Either way, this is what worked for me.  If you're one of the handful with this tablet, hopefully this will help.

Comments