App of the Week: Procreate

Procreate
Developer: Savage Interactive Pty Ltd
Platform: iOS
Cost: $9.99/$4.99

When I say that Procreate is a revolutionary program, please don’t mistake that as some exaggeration or hyperbole. This one program has completely changed the way I create and subsequently look at art. It is the single best piece of software on my iPad and one I use daily now. Without it, I would still be struggling to not only make art regularly, but make art at all.

Prior to this, I had been using a Wacom tablet and a variety of programs. I started with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop before eventually settling on AutoDesk Sketchbook. It worked, but there was always this disconnect as I would draw on the tablet, but have to look at the screen to see what was happening. There was also the issue of the pen tips wearing down the surface of my tablet. It was time to look at something new.

Unfortunately, Procreate is only available for iOS at this time. So, there were some upfront costs that needed to be handled. But, when compared to purchasing a new tablet that did something similar, the price points were about the same or more. While it is a shame there isn’t a program version that spans all platforms like Sketchbook, I can understand that iOS is a huge part of the market that is “regulated” in the sense that the developer only has a dozen or so models to worry about, unlike the quagmire that is Android or PC. And, as much as I hate to say it, on Apple it just works well. This is my first device of theirs and I’m completely sold. But, that’s an article for another day.

Microtransactions? None. Procreate isn’t here to mess around or lead you on. A $10 entry fee and you’re in. All the brushes, layers, and same support as everyone else. Want to create your own brushes? Do it. Modify existing brushes? Can do. Want to share on the fly to social media or to your cloud accounts? Please. This is Procreate. Sharing is just one of the myriad things it does and does well. Want to record you actually drawing? Animation? Absolutely can do.

Aside from Procreate itself, Savage Interactive also has a site for artists to share their artwork. I’ve since started publishing my art to not only my personal site but ProcreateFolio as well. It’s simple to use and looks fantastic. This especially holds true when you compare it to sites like DeviantArt. And, while it may not be the best device for creating art on, Savage Interactive has also released a version of Procreate for iPhone. This version is only $4.99.

All in all, I can’t recommend Procreate enough. It took me from being a casual artist to the serious consideration of pursuing it as a living. The tools are intuitive and if something can’t be figured out on your own, there are a plethora of tutorials online. So, what are you waiting for? Go create your masterpiece! 

Comments