Zombies, Run! Day 5


Zombies, Run! has received an update for Windows Phone.  There appears to have been some major work done to the stability of the game as I was able to finish my 40 minute run without the app crashing or hanging up.

The ZombieLink account has been added.  This allows players to create an account on the official site and sync their stats from each run.  It's a nifty way to keep track of all run logs, post stats to Facebook and Twitter, and that's about it.  There are tabs to check the codex for unlocked items, places, and people, but at this time it wasn't recognizing what I had unlocked.  There's also an option to manage Abel township and upgrade buildings, but it's currently not functional with Windows Phone.

So close, and yet, so far...
An additional tracking method has been added in the form of an accelerometer which recognizes placement in the hand, in a pocket, or in an armband.  I run with my phone in my hand and the counter had a mind of its own as it was counting steps even though I was standing still.  I don't know how this affects the zombie chase mode as I still haven't turned it on because music still overpowers in-game alerts.

Thankfully, missions have been revised. Players can pause missions and resume them from predetermined points, of which there are usually four or five.  It makes it incredibly easy to pick up runs from where you left off and in my case, where I average a mission or two per run, I don't need to extend my run just to complete another mission.

A "wp7 exclusive" category has been added under the missions.  There are five in total, but I have no idea what they could be as I haven't unlocked them yet.

While there's still some room for improvement, this was a critical update that was sorely needed.  $8 is still a little high for a buggy app, but now I have no qualms about recommending it.  If you're still on the fence, at least download the trial.

Comments

Ryan said…
This looks like an awesome idea! Running does get boring pretty quick, but I think this has got to make it more enjoyable. I had to look up what it was because I was unclear that you were actually running. I don't mean to sound like such a critic, I hardly know anything about writing.